In a ‘normal’ year, the total costs to operate WNZR on a day-to-day basis over a 12-month period are usually in the $110-120,000 range. This does NOT include Joe and Marcy Rinehart’s salaries. Marcy is a full-time staff member of Mount Vernon Nazarene University and Joe is a full-time faculty member.
The timing of 2020 and COVID-19 changed a lot. Like many of you, a projected loss of income means we needed to cut back on expenses.
We expected and saw a significant loss (45%) of underwriting and business partnership revenue for 2020-21, as most of our events were cancelled or compressed. We then reduced the amount of summer student hours worked by 40%. That turned around a bit last year as events began to come back.
This is why Lifeline 2019, 2020 and 2021 were such a blessing. It gave us some margin to absorb some of those financial realities because your pledges surpassed our goals. Reaching the goal for Lifeline 2020 became so critical because it allowed us to keep going strong, while being very careful about planning.
Then…in 2021…YOU BLEW US AWAY. Your support was a pledged total of Just over $85,500! Over $20,000 over goal! The return on those pledges is over $79,000 and we can’t say thank you enough!
Because of Lifeline 2021, we didn’t need to raise our goal for 2022. You met the need and more, helped us meet Ohio’s adjustment in pay for our part-time students, met equipment and maintenance needs, and allowed us to plan ahead 2-3 years!
Our goal is always to be good stewards of MVNU’s support, sponsor support, and listener support. MVNU provides about 21% of our operating budget, with business underwriting providing another 25% and Lifeline around 54%.
What does Lifeline help us do? Mainly, it supports our staffing, including our full-time Assistant Station Manager, Wesley Boston, part-time office manager Catherine Haws, and a student staff, made up of around eight
Leadership Team members, 4 summer staff members and students who fill in during holiday breaks.
Lifeline also helps maintain our station vehicle, Big Blue, helps handle the licensing costs for our online streaming services, our website and app hosting, and includes maintenance of the equipment we use to broadcast to Knox County 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year, including some of our video streaming.
We know we can’t do it without you!
Because of you, we’ve been able to:
- Start online audio streaming at wnzr.fm in 2003
- FCC license renewals in 2004, 2012 and 2020
- Purchase Big Blue in 2009
- Increase signal strength in 2011
- Start online video streaming of Cougar Sports in 2011 on wnzr.tv
- Develop an Android and iTunes app and upgrade it in 2017
- Partner with MVNU to hire an Assistant Station Manager in 2018
WNZR’s desire is to go beyond being a typical college radio station and be a ministry to the community. We want our students to experience a real, everyday application of fulfilling MVNU’s mission: shaping lives by educating with an emphasis on Christ-likeness, learning and service. We also feel this approach is the best way for our students to learn the skills they need to be relevant communicators in a world that needs the good news of Jesus Christ!
And with your response to Lifeline fundraisers over the years, you’ve sent us a STRONG message: keep doing what you’re doing! Nevertheless, we need your continued partnership!
Our needs for 2022 include:
· 51% of the hourly rate for our full-time production director and underwriting coordinator, Wesley Boston. 100% of the hourly rate for our office manager, Catherine Haws. These additions allow Marcy to focus more on the programming and outreach responsibilities at the station. WNZR covers the salary and MVNU will cover the benefit package. TOTAL COST: $20,000
· Financial support of our WNZR Student leadership team during the school year, summer and breaks. This includes student hosts on The Morning Thing and The Afternoon Drive. COST $38,000
· Replacing/upgrading or repairing old or faulty equipment. COST: n/a because you met it through Lifeline 2021
· Big Blue’s maintenance: $200
· Online music streaming fees. COST: $600
· Lifeline printing and mailing costs: $1,200
· Website and smartphone app services COST: $4,500
With your support, we can continue to reach our community with the awesome message of Christ and His love! Thank you for all you have done to support WNZR through prayer and finances.